January 2016 Blizzard
January 2016 blizzard
- Gov. Cuomo urges New Yorkers to prepare for Nor’easter expected to impact New York City, Long Island and the southern Hudson Valley on Saturday morning through Sunday
Before the storm
Below are some tips to prepare for the storm:
- Keep your policy and other important documents together in a safe place.
- Review your policy to understand your coverage—call your company or agent if you have questions.
- Create or update your home inventory. Take photos of your possessions.
- Note model and serial numbers.
- Assemble original sales receipts and/or appraisal documents.
After the storm
Below are some tips to do after the storm has occurred:
- Call your insurance company’s 24-hour claims phone number as soon as possible; provide policy number and other relevant information and documents.
- Take photographs/video of the damage.
- Make repairs necessary to prevent further damage, but do not make permanent repairs until your insurance company inspects the damage.
- Save all receipts from temporary repairs.
- Keep a diary of all conversations, emails and other correspondence with the company.